English Thread (beginners and bilingual)

Démarré par Noxneo, 12 Décembre 2006 à 18:45

Yeah, in other words it's a private joke :P

Yes, and there are only you and me which can understand....

And we are all jalous of Noxneo for sharing this private joke with you!
Citation
Ash Nazg Durbatulùk, Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatulùk agh bruzum-ishi krimpatul.
The fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien

No big surprise, as everybody is jealous of me, no matter over what :P

So true Nox, so true... Has always.
But what makes me the most jealous of your magnificent person is your humility :D
Citation
Ash Nazg Durbatulùk, Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatulùk agh bruzum-ishi krimpatul.
The fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien

Aaah, my humility...so many people have sought for it, and none has yet obtained it ^^

I'm just waiting for it... Ha ha ha! No seriously it's the first time I post in this topic and I think it's a good idea so people can practice their second language and maybe we'll attract some english people. Well, I can dream!

14 Décembre 2006 à 23:46 #57 Dernière édition: 18 Décembre 2006 à 14:27 par Seb le grand
Citation de: Noxneo le 14 Décembre 2006 à 14:18
Yeah, in other words it's a private joke :P

Thanks, I didn't understand before  :mrgreen:

So, my english teacher want I wear a tuxedo for the oral exam. But it's too expensive for me (and first, I prefer buying a Wii).
And this year, I had to know four songs by the Beatles... Sure, I sing like a Star Academy pupil, but I hope I succeed...

Please, translate this with Google Translation  :mrgreen:

Hi there! 'Skuze my English, I don't really pratice it...

However, I would discus witch you about something that I hate as hell: You know these people that thinks that just because something is translated ( most of the time badly) in english, it will be cooler! WTF! Why is English always supose to be cooler and fashioner? Is really "The legend of Zelda : Ocarina of time" cooler then "La Légende de Zelda, L'ocarina du temps"? Here I don't speak to Nintendo and the others, I speak for gamers and makers? English nicknames are as good as french ones! "La Légende de Zelda, L'ocarina du temps 2D" could be as cool as is it was in the English name! Hellooo, wake up! And if only it was in gaming, girls will know the "Dollz" forums.

Anyway, this looks like a lost battle to me.. thanks for reading you all and by the way this threat is really interisting!

Jack  ;)
Test pour noob: Es-tu ici depuis plus de 2 ans?
Oui: Pas noob.
Non: Noob.

It's alright. I agree with you on the point that english should definitely NOT replace other languages. However, in some cases, using another language can give a certain feeling to the title. As an exemple, I use latin a lot in my game ("Luce"), in title but also in play. This is to vehiculate a sort of ancient, religious atmosphere.

But I definitely agree that anglophone titles are too much used.

Yeah, english title are used a lot because all the "professional" games have their title in english. Personnaly, I think that english is too much present in the domain of video games. It would be cool if the games were made like Ubisoft, in the main language : English, French, Spanish, Deutch and Japanese. The developpement of the games would be much longer but almost everybody would play the game in their own language.

I noticed everybody says "Deutsch". In english, "allemand" is "german" ^^.

One title per country is also a real mess for the developpers. A unique title for everyone is quite simpler.

But still, you can find some games whose titles are localized as the games they are refered to (Dragon Quest VIII)

Citation de: Noxneo le 18 Décembre 2006 à 08:40
I noticed everybody says "Deutsch". In english, "allemand" is "german" ^^.

Deutsch's from Deus, which means god.

But in Rayman 2, in the language selection's menu, it's written "Deutsch"... Is it an error to say deutsch instead of germain?

Well, "Deutsch" means "German"... In German ^_^.

Now, if the very same screen of the very same game suggests "Français" too, well it just means the game translates each language name... In this language ;). Which is quite the common rule... And somewhat common sense, too.
- L'homme n'est pas une marchandise comme les autres.
Nicolas Sarkozy, 9 Novembre 2006.

Hey kids, know what the adjective for Seb's joke is ?

Lame.

Take notes kids, it can be useful :P

Citation de: MemoreX le 19 Décembre 2006 à 01:22
But in Rayman 2, in the language selection's menu, it's written "Deutsch"... Is it an error to say deutsch instead of germain?

It is not a mistake. Each language is simply written in its own language. French is "Français", English is "English" and Japanese is "$&#%" :)

Two days ago, it was my birthday. I'm 15 year old. ^^

Citation de: Link 57 le 20 Décembre 2006 à 12:43

Happy birthday to you Mister LinkFiftySeven !

Citation de: Seb le grand le 20 Décembre 2006 à 13:17
Citation de: Link 57 le 20 Décembre 2006 à 12:43

Happy birthday to you Mister LinkFiftySeven !

Thank you very much Seb the tall. :mrgreen:

I think that "Seb the Great" is more appropriate

Seb the Magnificent is the real translation.

Seb, always modest......... Your Majesty, my regards... Lol

Citation de: moicoucou le 20 Décembre 2006 à 18:24
Seb, always modest......... Your Majesty, my regards... Lol

Thank you. You know, nobody can be as modest as me.

Ow,good topic,but,my english is too bad.
I'm not lucky beacause the spanish is not popular here ^_^
In short,I speak french or castillan, it's too easy for me :mrgreen:

Ooooo ä ouondairfoul topïk ouaire aïe kane spike Inglich ! (yaisse Aïe cnau aïe ame bilingoual, itsse bicose aie waurk my leçonss eu laute !). :lol:
Okey, I sors. :rolleyes:

Christmas is coming. Happy Xmas everybody and happy new year in advance. ^^

Nice topic out there, seem like there's not a lot of people  who speak/write pretty well in english.
Not bad.:)

I'm born in a english city name Ottawa in Canada, then i move to Montréal and i was still very young.
I kinda switch to french so now i'm better in french.
Anyway,i'm going to bed now, have fun.

By the way, yep Deutsch its "German" in english.

My english teacher is a bi... a stupid woman <_<

Bwaïan ize in the kitchen.

Ahum.

Anybody interested by my essay about self knowledge in Heart of Darkness ?  ^_^

Citation de: Noxneo le 28 Février 2007 à 17:44
Bwaïan ize in the kitchen.

Ahum.

Anybody interested by my essay about self knowledge in Heart of Darkness ?  ^_^

Are you talking about the game ?

I see this thread fot the first time.

I understand English without any problems, and I write pretty well. I don't speak perfectly, but good enough.

shadow: I diden't knew that you were from Ottawa. You came to Montreal when you were about...?
Je supporte Jeu 1.
Je supporte Jeu 2.
Je supporte Jeu 3.
Je supporte Jeu 4.
Je supporte Jeu 5.
Je supporte Jeu 6.
Je supporte Jeu 7.
Je supporte Jeu 8.
Je supporte Jeu 9.
AVEZ-VOUS COMPRIS?

Yes I very shocking because my tailor is rich !!

;) I'm not too strong in English .

I know just what I saw in the Video/Film in English .

What is a private joke ?
^_^
Bonjour. Je voudrais savoir si vous avez des nouvelles de Usulmaster car ses 2adresse e-mail n'existent plus et il ne repond pas a mes PM. Si vous le trouvez, MPer moi

01 Mars 2007 à 15:38 #91 Dernière édition: 01 Mars 2007 à 15:39 par Cless
Hey Noxneo, this topic is a good idea as it could help everybody (me first of course XD).

Well, I'm French, and as everybody I have started learning English at school. Actually, I began it in CM1 (sorry, I don't know the name in English). I think I'm not so bad, I can understand a lot of things, and I'm used to speak with English people in some forums ; even if I have never had much than the mark of 12 in this subject ^^'.

That's all ! ^^
If you people want, I have a little joke (not so fun but we're here in order to speak, right ?) :

"It's a French man who decides to learn English. In order to do it, he's looking for a teacher in the newspaper.
After a while, he sees this announce : "Donne cours d'anglais pour tout niveau, 10¤ la leçon". The man writes the address, and go there to take his first lesson. He knocks at the door, and as a man opens it, he asked :
"C'est bien ici pour les cours d'anglais ?"
"If if, between" answered the teacher.

Ok, it's REALLY not fun XD

See ya' ! =)

Geomaster: No the book. I wish we were studying a video game in class :D

Citation de: Noxneo le 01 Mars 2007 à 18:10
Geomaster: No the book. I wish we were studying a video game in class :D

Maybe a few years later... :)

Citation de: Moni12 le 01 Mars 2007 à 04:40
shadow: I diden't knew that you were from Ottawa. You came to Montreal when you were about...?

Hmm, 3-4 years old?
But less then 5, i'm sure.

I see this treath is dead, lets wake him up!  :P

I personnaly learnt English on Internet sites and I went in USA for less thant two mouths soo I'm affraid my English is more than poor. Anyway lets rebuild a fluid discution arroud: "Is English becoming too big and causing other languages too die in long term (à lng terme)?"

What do you guys think?
Test pour noob: Es-tu ici depuis plus de 2 ans?
Oui: Pas noob.
Non: Noob.

Well... Don't you know English ain't world's most spoken language ?
It's Chinese. And as Napoleon said :
"When China wakes up, world will thrill" (well... Napoleon said it in french, and I bet he would have hated speaking english... but we're on an English thread ! :rolleyes:).
Anyway, what I mean is that soon (about 40 or 50 years), english will be totally forgotten, and we'll all have to speak chinese ! :ninja:

... Then, why not creating Chinese thread ?  :rolleyes:
[/url]

Why not, yeah ?

I learn Chinese at school, Chinese Thread can be fun^^!
But in fact I'm not enought good in speaking Chinese than in speaking English.

I saw this Thread the other day, but I didn't post, I don't know why...

But I think I write better English than others xrite French on other forums :mrgreen:

So, I think me too that it's a very good idea to wake up this topic^^
Just a little question : Whi is/was in European section at school ?

Because I'm and I wanna know who's like me^^

Citation de: Morwenn le 15 Juillet 2007 à 14:58

But I think I write better English than others xrite French on other forums postboards :mrgreen:

Yes, right  :rolleyes:

Citation de: Morwenn le 15 Juillet 2007 à 14:58

Just a little question : Whi is/was in European section at school ?

Because I'm and I wanna know who's like me^^

I am. It's my fifth year in european section (1ère).

Explanation of European section to those who don't know what we're talking about :
This is a special section, where students, during Junior High and High school get more english lessons, plus, for the 1ere and Terminale students, one then two hours a week of DNL (Discipline Non Linguistique) : either mathematics and biology or history and geography in english (thoses two last subjects are more intersteting, since you learn about British and American history, which are normally not taught).
In 1ere, students pass Cambridge's First Certificate, an internation certificate, which proves you speak english fluently enough to be able to work in any english-speaking country in the world. Then, in terminale, if you get at least 10 in the DNL bac's test, and 15 in english bac's test, then you get your bac with European mention.
[/url]

Yeah, for me as an exemple, I had this year one hour and a half of history in English and two hours and a half of Biology in English. The matter : I don't know exactly the French words for Biology terms, so I had a very bad mark in Biology when it was the test between all the classes. Just enought to have more than 10 points, very bad :mrgreen:

So, I think I must work French terms of Biology if I want to rest alive the next year :lol:

But English is a good linguage easy to speak (exemple : "I like Zelda and Link" or "My flowers are beautiful", you see, it's very very easier than the german :ninja:), I like speaking English or reading heroic fantasy in English. Thanks to English, I can read the books of Raymond.E.Feist before everybody, very good :P